Question
Posted by: KK | 2010-05-04

Severe Fatigue

I have been having a problem with fatigue. It has been with me moderately for about 6 months but has become severe in the last 2 months. It comes and goes but most recently it has been about 4 days that I''ve not been able to function properly. I can''t concentrate at work, even watching TV at home is too much. The only relief is when I''m asleep. I sleep very well, at least 8 hours a day but for the last 4 days have also had 3 hour afternoon naps. I am still tired when I wake up though.

I have been tested for thyroid, blood sugar, kidney and liver function and hemoglobin which are all fine.

I am weaning off tricyclic antidepressants. The last time I decreased dose was 1 month ago. No recurring feelings of depression or anxiety.

I have pain in both kidneys and may have infection. Doctor tested urine and said it''s fine. No medication prescribed.

Fatigue is also accompanied by loose stools and bloating.

I eat healthy and drink a lot of water.

Ferratin tested at 17 and I am now on 100mg elemental iron daily. (1 week).

Hallo KK
Ask your doctor to check for underlying viral infection like Ebstein Barr or Coxachie virus. If the loose stools smell bad, ask him to also send a sample to the lab to check for parasites. Don't underestimate underlying depression - sometimes it can present with physical symptoms first like tiredness, early morning waking, change in appetite, headaches and abdominal symptoms.
dr Bets

3
Posted by: R | 2010-05-04

I''m not a doctor so best to consider the docs answer first, but I had a similar problem and was diagnosed with recurrent epstein barr virus (EBV) as well as low magnesium which was causing most of my problems and general feelings of ill health. I got over it with some good supplements, 30 min of sunshine a day, exercise and changing my diet. Maybe ask to be tested for EBV if you haven''t been already.

Reply to R
Posted by: KK | 2010-05-04

By the way: I am a 28 year old female.
I have been wondering if there is a possibility of a hormonal imbalance. SHould I ask my doctor to order a saliva test?

Reply to KK
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-05-04

Hallo KK
dr Bets