Question
Posted by: CC | 2010-05-04

Severe Cramp

It has happened for the 4th time now. During or after sex I get a cramp-like feeling so severe I cannot move. It pulls from my stomach feeling like it is stretching my ovaries going through the vagina and gets stuck between there and anus. It almost feels like passing wind would calm it, but there is absolutely no way –  even if I spend 2 hours on toilet. I eventually fall asleep just to awake with sore muscles and the cramp better but still there. Eventually it goes away. Is this something a gynaecologist can treat or prevent? It does not happen any other time other than as mentioned above.

There is normally contraction of the uterus after sex and orgasm. This can be quite uncomfortable. You could see your gynaecologist to check if there is any underlying problem which could be making it worse.

2
Posted by: CC | 2010-05-06

Proctalgia fugax
Proctalgia fugax is a severe, cramp-like pain, deep in the anal canal. It usually lasts for a few seconds or minutes, but can sometimes last for up to half an hour. Between attacks there is no pain at all. Most sufferers have only 5 or 6 attacks a year. You may feel a need to defecate urgently, but nothing happens. It may even make you feel dizzy, or give you a headache. It occurs in both men and women. The pain often wakes sufferers at night, and men may have an erection at the same time. Some men experience it after sex. It is a mysterious condition  no one knows what causes it, but it is probably a spasm of the rectal or pelvic floor muscles and does not mean that you have anything seriously wrong. There are various methods of relieving the pain.
•  Try putting pressure on the perineum (the area between the back passage and the vagina or base of the penis) by sitting on the edge of your bath or on a tennis ball.
•  Sit in hot water or, alternatively, apply some ice.
•  Two paracetamol tablets and a hot drink may give some relief.
The problem with medications for proctalgia fugax is that the episode is likely to be over before the drugs become active, but medication might be worth trying if your attacks last a long time. The usual treatment is the asthma drug salbutamol, inhaled from a puffer at the start of the attack (Gastroenterology 2006 130:1510– 8). This is only available on prescription, for which you would need to see your doctor.

Reply to CC
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-05-05