Question
Posted by: Sasha | 2009/11/28

SEVERE CHRONIC ANIMAL ALLERGIES

I HAVE SUFFERED WITH ALLERGIES TO ANIMALS FOR ALL MY LIFE. I AM STUDYING TO BE A VET AND I MYSELF OWN PETS AND MY ALLERGIES ARE BECOMING WORSE AND WORSE.
CHANGING MY CAREER CHOICE OR DISOWNING MY PETS IS NOT AN OPTION.
CAN YOU PLEASE ADVISE ME ON APPROPRIATE LONGTERM TREAMENTS. I DONT WANT TO RELY ON ANTIHISTAMINES AND CORTICOSTEROIDS ALL MY LIFE.
I WAS TOLD OF IgE THERAPY AND DESENSITISATION THERAPY- CAN YOU COMMENT ON THE EFFECTIVITY OF THESE FORMS OF TREATMENT.
PLEASE REPLY ASAP.
THANK YOU!!

Sasha

It is imperative that you consult an allergy specialist. After history taken and examination, he/she will be able to provide you with more information on the effectiveness of IgE treatment and desensitisation injections. This is a more complex situation and I am certain that a good allergy specialist will be able to provide you with answers and care.