Posted by: Grace | 2008-11-19

Severe cellulitis &  immunocompromised

Hi. I know someone who is 50 years old, HIV positive, female and has cellulitis in one leg. The affected area is sore, black in colour and the lesion is about 20-25 cm in length. Diabetes mellitus runs in this persons family but this person is not diagnosed as one. Currently no medication is being taken for it. This person is not keen to seek medical treatment. What can i do to help. Her mother a diabetic had the same condition in both legs. Please help.

Dear Grace
The "black in colour" bit worries me - it can be a sign of reduced blood flow, gangrene or a dangerous fungal infection. Either way she needs to see a doctor as this will need prescription medication. 50 years is still young, try and explain to her that she can lose her leg and end up as a cripple if not treated before complications develop.