Posted by: samdt | 2012-11-08

severe binge eating disorder

Dear Det Doc
As I sit here writing to yu I am beyond desperate. I am a 40 year old female, 1.72m tall and I weigh 155.2kg. I read the articles on Health24 on binge eating disorder and I am a text book cae. I have 2 toddlers and am pertrified that I am going to eat myself to death very soon. It is getting worse and worse and I am loosing total controll. I devour huge amountsof food ( ANYTHING will do - to the point of feeling physically sick. Even then I wll try to stuff in just one or 2 more bites. I know all the healthy eating do''s and don''ts but just can''t stick to any form of healthy eating plan. I get so frustrated as I have an IQ in excess of 140 but can just not figuremy way out of this downward spiral. It is like a huge monster - I kep chopping off heads but each time 2 grows back in its place. I am really really fearing for my life. What on earth am I going to do? Ralised to my great shock that even gastric banding etc ould not work as Iwould just keep on stuffing in food. That is if I could afford such an op. My mdical aid wouldnot pay for it. What on earth am I going to do!!!!!

Dear Samdt
Your weight is indeed morbidly and critically obese with a BMI of 52.4. If you read the articles I have written about binge eating disorder, you must have noted that I recommend that patients should get assistance from a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist for the psychological problem(s) that is/are making them self-destruct. Once progress is being made with helping you to take control of your life again, then you need to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to guide you with applying a balanced weight reduction diet. So the first step is to consult a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist or if you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on:
Go for expert help ASAP.