Question
Posted by: viddy88 | 2010/05/19

Severe Back and Neck pain

I need help ASAP. I am a 21 year old guy and have severe back and neck pain. I was involved in a serious car accident, but doctors diagnosed me with a degenerative spine. I am currently on Lentogesic, Xefo 8, as well as non-prescription Adco-dol and Neurofen. I''m currently using a back brace as well. I am always in pain, but it''s worse in the mornings and late evenings. I do not get much sleep as the pain does not go away. Also, I have noticed that the neck pain has now also spread to the base of the neck and the shoulder.

I am seriously concerned as I am only 21, on really strong meds, and with no ease of pain in sight. Some days I can barely get out of bed. I have tried accupuncture, physiotherapy, chiropractic manipulation, nothing provides much relief. My doctor refuses to put me on a course of morphine, or anything stronger, as he says I am still very young.

I am running out of options. Any advice would be really appreciated

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

For a 21 yr old person with such severe pain of the back I would be concerned and some more serious causes of back pain should be ruled out, for example an infection, TB of the spine etc. I am not suggesting that you have any of those conditions but the diagnosis of "degenerative" spine at 21 years of age is unlikely. You should see an orthopedic surgeon specialising in spines

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/05/21

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum