Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2010/07/08

Several Vertebrae fractures

Hi Doc,

I had a fatal mva and have fractured T5 - T12, L3 ,L4 and D7.
I was prescribed a brace and painkillers and sent home! What are my chances, I am in excruciating pain. How long will it take to heal and what are the precautions?

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

From what you say you fractured multiple vertebrae in your spine. The management of such fractures vary depending on the amount of compression of the vertebrae and also from surgeon to surgeon. Some fractures would be treated with an operation called "vertebroplasty" which is a small procedure where the vertebra is reduced to its intial shape and filled with a special cement. Some fractures even need screws and rods.Then other minor ones can be left to heal on their own (in a brace) I am not sure what the severity of your fractures is but I must admit that you do have fractures on so many levels that you spine may be unstable - would be a good thing to have it checked again

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/07/11

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum