Question
Posted by: Rick | 2010/10/05

Settling down in a new job

Hi doc, I posted here a month ago where I was struggling with intense nerves and stress over being retrenched then having found a new job within the month....

Well Im settling down a little bit but I still have anxiety in my solar plexus. Im still nervous and stressed, and im scared that Im not greatful enough for my new opportunity. I feel so blessed that I found this job, so shouldnt I logically be over the moon all the time.

I get paid a great salary, I can leave work at 4pm so that I miss the traffic, my 3 staff members are great,a nd my boss leaves me alone.

anyone else would be surely not be feeling like I do. its almost as though I dont want to go to work!

All Ive ever wanted was to do a days honest work, get paid for it and be able to spend time with my family after work and not have to get home after dark.

Is it possible that its not just nerves and a bit of performance anxiety? Is it unusual not to be totally settled in a new job after a month?

Rick

Firstly, thanks for the feedback and for the good news that you found a new job so soon - well done ! I'm not sure how grateful is "enough" or how one should show such gratitude. Now's the time to just get on with the job, and doing it well, rather than taking time off to get over the moon and back again ! Maybe there's a bit of lack of self-esteem, and you may wonder whether you deserve such a great job ? Well, they don't just hand those out to passers-by - they thought you were well worth it, and that's why you have it.
We vary in how long it takes us to settle in, and I'm sure you'll be feeling settled in soon.

3
Posted by: Observer | 2010/10/06

I have to agree with CS and Bee on this issue. You have to take a good hard look at yourself as a person and whatever you see, appreciate it, because that''s who you are. You can never be someone else, good or bad. If you need reinforcing in any area, go and see a shrink, they always have a good outlook and provide really good advice.

Reply to Observer
Posted by: Bee | 2010/10/05

Hi Nick.

WOW, tricky one!

Personally, I think you are so happy with your new job and you are deep down so scared you might loose it, after your retrenchment experience.

But you know what: you deserve this new job and you would not have gotten the job if they did not believe in you! So enjoy it and try stopping the negative thoughts!

Reply to Bee