Question
Posted by: Shakira | 2011/02/16

Setting up a Meal Plan

I''ve decided to make a lifestyle change by exercising and eating properly. There''s so much information about this on the web. Having said that, I feel a bit overwhelmed by all the things I " should"  be doing.. .eating before or after I exercise, not drinking water with my meal but 30-45minutes before/after, do you count butternut as a starch or a veg? I found the Portion Eating Menu Plan on Health24 which sets out how many portions of each food group to eat per day. However, half a cup of beans is either 1protein or 1carb  1/2c of carrots is a veg while 1c is counts as a carb...so how do I count these? Please can you give me a little information regarding setting up a meal plan? Specifically regarding the above veg/protein/starch portion and any other information that may help.

Dear Shakira
The basic principles of a healthy diet are that you should eat a variety of low-fat, high-fibre foods click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet, which is easier to follow than having to work out portions all the time), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day or 60 min every second day. Stop stressing about all the details right now otherwise it will put you off totally. Just eat sensibly and do some exercise and you will soon start feeling the benefits. Trying to apply too much good advice can also cause failure because it is impossible to follow every single piece of advice you read on the Internet. Keeping life simple and direct and doing everything in moderation is the key.

1

Dear Shakira