Question
Posted by: FIO | 2010/06/18

Setion 21 and guardianship

I dont understand. If Section 21 gives FULL rights and responsibilities, and none of these are contested, then why should the need still be there to apply for guardianship as a seperate issue with the High Court?

No-where does the Act say Section 21 does not include guardianship. Conversely it states FULL parental rights and responsibilities, guardinaship is a parental right and responsibility.

So why the need for High Court application for guardianship?

Expert ImageFamily law expert

The Guardianship Act 192 of 1993 was repealed and applications for guardianship is now governed by s 24 of the Children's Act which provides that such applications must be made to the High Court. The inherent common-law powers of the High Court as the upper-guardian of all minor children within its area of jurisdiction formed the historical background to certain statutory powers vested in the High Court in relation to children. I understand your argument in relation to the FULL parental right afforded by way of Section 21. I am sure that this will be tested in due course.

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2010/06/19

Reply to family law expert