Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2010/01/11

Serotonin Power Diet

I have been on fluoxetine now for just over two years, and my weight has creeped up by about 8 kg since then. Diet and exercise have not been effective. Through a literature review I came across some papers saying that poor disrupted sleep (my life - I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old) basically makes it near impossible to lose weight, and combined with the SSRI, its a hopeless situation. I came across the Serotonin Power Diet though, which appears to be scientifically sound. It uses carbohydrate snacks to boost serotonin levels, and hence restore normal appetite and satiety. It also included exercise as part of the plan, so it seems sound from that angle too. Have you had any experience with this diet?

Dear Racoon
I have not yet seen an example of the Serotonin Power Diet, but from what you say, it may well be useful. Low serotonin levels can cause overeating, and using low-fat, high-fibre carb snacks to boost serotonin levels is a good idea. The addition of exercise should also improve weightloss. I would be interested to hear if you find the diet conducive to weightloss.

1

Dear Racoon