seroquel vs Clozapine

My medical aid do not want to approve my seroquel as a chronic medicine but they will approve Clozapine. What is the diffrence between the two. What I read on the internet has Clozapine alot of effects that even can be fatal. What should I do. My dr is on maternity leave and I do not no where to go to.

Actually, a VERY complex question. Clozapine, where it suits someone, can work very well indeed, and though it can have serious side-effects, these are not common, and it is routine to arrage for occasional blood-tests to pick up if serious problems are starting to develop, so it can be changed. Medical Aids are obviously sensitive about costs, sometimes sensibly and sometimes stupidly. Much will depend on the diagnosis, the history of what other meds have been tried, and the doctor writing a convincing motivation explaining why she considers this specific medicine best for you. She should not have gone on maternity leave without appointing a locum to help her paients while she is away ( it would be highly unprofessional for her not to do so ) --- so contact her office and ask to see the locum about this. If necessary, the locum could contact the doc and discuss this, as she is presumably resting but not herself ill.