Posted by: beth | 2009-02-24

I' ve been on Seroquel for six weeks. I cannot begin to explain how much it has changed my life, after much hope loss I have foundly found a medication thats keeps my Bipolar in control. The problem is that is has seemed to increase my anxiety levels and i' ve had three attacks since, i also get very restless and agitated. I' m on Brazapam for anxiety but i' m not sure it helps so much. I am also on Ritalin for ADD. Other things that are worrying me is that my balance isn' t so great and a get dizzy, my tongue also feels heavy and I find myself slurring at times, in the morning my leg muscles ache for no reason. Are these the normal side effects of Seroquel and do they fade away? I can' t get an appointment to see my psychiatrist soon enough and don' t want to stop the one medication that worked in other ways. Thanks

Pleased to hear you are finding this med useful for your bipolar disorder ( and presumably some of its noticeable symptoms ) at present. I have heard from a number of people that they have found it may apparently increase anxiety levels, and this would need to be discussed with your prescribing doc --- Brazepam is one of the benzodiazepine ( Valium ) family, and one is cautious about its long-term use as dependency can occur. Its more unusual tio be taking Ritalin as well, and I have seen neither research nor comment on the effect of such a combination. But as Ritalin is a stimulant ( though potentially calming in hyperacive children ) I could understand if it aded to a degree of jitteriness and anxiety in an adult, in such a combination. Within 5 weks the worst o most iniial side-effects would have worn off. Starting someone on a new drug, especially in an unusual combination, I would expect a good psychiatrist to ensure the next visit well within 6 weeks, to monitor the reactions to this.

Posted by: Emma | 2009-02-25

I am not on the same meds as you, but my muscles also ache in the morning when I get up. It usually goes away once I move about, while getting showed and dressed. I am on an antidepressant and a traqualizer for GAD and depression, not bipolar.

Reply to Emma
Posted by: Seroquel | 2009-02-25

i took Seroquel once for a few weeks i didnt like it - it makes everything seem to real but in a false way.

i didnt realise it was used to treat bi polar.

Reply to Seroquel