Question
Posted by: Confused | 2011/10/04

Serlife and Cymgen

I have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and burnt out after being sick (bronchitis) for 2 months which didn''t want to clear up. I''ve been on Serlife 100mg p/d which has been reduced to 50mg/d. I''m also taking 1 Espiride 50mg/d morning and afternoon and one 30mg Cymgen in the mornings with Purblocka. I can''t fall asleep since I have been on these pills and have to take a sleeping pill (Stillnox MR) every night. My psychiatrist suggested that I should switch the pills and drink the Serlife in the mornings instead of the afternoons. But I still cant fall asleep and still have to take a sleeping pill. I have tried it now for 2 days and feel terrible with headaches and back pain. I think that I''m going to switch back again as I was feeling well - all problem was only that I couldn''t fall asleep. It rather feel that these pills mess me more up than anything. What is your opinion what should I do??

I'm wondering whether this treatment has been from a GP, rather than a psychiatrist ? But you do mention a psychiatrist, which puzzles me.
I really don't understand the combination of meds you are on.
Lets see. Serlife is a generic version of the drug Sertraline, and SSRI antidepressant ( a later relative of Prozac. Espiride is Sulpiride, an anti-psychotic medication usually used to treat schizophrenia. It can CAUSE insomnia and agitation, among other side-effects. I can't imagine choosing to use it to treat simple anxiety.
Cymgen is a rather new and expensive antidepressant, chemical name Duloxetine. It can cause drowsiness among other side-effects.
Pur-Bloka is a beta-blocker usually used to treat high blood pressure. However, in anxiety, it can reduce SOME of the purely PHYSICAL symptoms ( like the rapid pulse ) without any benefits whatsoever for the psychological anxiety itself.
I don't know why you would be put on two different antidepressants ( though some ADS individually may help improve anxiety, I've never seen 2 at a time used for this purpose ).
I'd seriously consider seeking a second opinion from a different psychiatrist, specifically to confirm the diagnosis and especially to review the treatment.
Generally, it's accepted that an SSRI AD like Serlife can be helpful, as well as a specific form of counselling, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy (CBT).

1