Question
Posted by: Carmen | 2012/02/14

Seriously now?

Hi DietDoc

I weigh 52kg with a height of 1.56m. Is this right for my body? It doesn''t sound bad, but I do look chubby. I know it might sound funny...but I constantly get comments about my body, people/friends saying ''you''ve got a big butt'' and ''are you expecting?'' , which really does affect my self esteem.

I follow a balanced diet and exercise 4times a week for 45min, doing 20min on the treadmill running at 7.5km/h non stop, 10min of cycling/alternate it with other cardio machines, and 15min of light weight training

What else can I do to shake off the chubby look?

Dear Carmen
Your present BMI = 21,4, which is absolutely Ideal for your height, so the next time those cats make remarks tell them they must be getting old and should have their eyes checked. You do realise that these people are not really your friends if they say such stupid and hurtful things. A perfect answer for the pregnancy questions is to say: "Yes, I am soooo excited, X (your favourite male film start) is the father. The baby is due in 10 months time!!" Some of this nonsense may be because of envy (are you a popular person or good at your job?) or because they themselves are sliding into anorexia and they want you to join them in their misery. So give them a big smile and a cheeky answer to keep them quiet and be proud of your slim body.
Remember, you don't need the approval of anyone except yourself.
Best regards and Happy Valentine's Day!

2
Posted by: maria | 2012/02/16

Hi Carmen,
As DietDoc said, your weight is absolutely ideal for your height, so you have nothing to worry about, especially since you exercise regularly. You are whithin the normal weight range of 18.5 - 24.9.

But BMI does not take into account your muscle mass, bone structure or distinct features of your body, ie big bust or behind. For example: a friend of mine is the same height and weight as me, but she has a more ''chubby'' and ''softer'' look. The difference is because I exercise a lot, I have less bodyfat and more muscle, which makes me look lean and sometimes skinny (although I am at a healthy weight with BMI of 21!). The reason is that muscle is heavier by volume than fat. Because muscle is more dense than fat, the person with less bodyfat and more muscle will look smaller.

I suggest you do more weight and strength training to tone your arms, stomach, bum and legs. Use dumbells of 1.5 - 3kg and do forward lunges, lateral lunges, deadlifts, hip-thigh extensions and squats and other exercises to shape your thighs and tone and lift your bum.

Do crunches, sit-ups, leg raises, plank raise and side planks to strengthen your abs and back.

To tone your arms do girlie push-ups or wall push-ups, and use dumbells to strenghten your biceps and triceps and pectoral muscles (chest). Use a lighter weight and do more repetitions to achieve that lean look.

Doing more strength and weight training will help you burn fat faster and you will look leaner and more toned. You might not lose weight according to the scale, but you you''ll definitely lose cm''s. Combine these exercises with your usual run and you will look and feel fabulous!

Remember: it''s YOUR body and no-one has the right to say these nasty things to you...they obviously have insecurities about their own bodies.

Last tip: always stand and sit up straight, shoulders back and down, pull your tummy in and squeeze your but...that way you exercise without actually exercising and you look and feel confidant, happy and beautiful!! Good luck!

Reply to maria

Dear Carmen
Best regards and Happy Valentine's Day!