Posted by: BI | 2009-05-26

Serious Work problems

Hi there.
I' ve had a lapse in my meds for about 2 weeks (I had a problem renewing my prescription), I' ve recently been able to get a 6-month repeat prescription of 150mg Lamictin and and 12.5mg seroquel. I' ve been taking it again for about a week now.
However, I' m going mad. I' m extremely weak, almost paralysed with sadness. I got divorced last year and now my 10 year old son is staying with his father in another province but we maintain contact and also my exhusband and I parted on good terms. So I cannot see how the divorce could now suddenly be affecting me. I' m being paid a monthly settlement and there is not problem with that.
I cannot work. I was off yesterday again, I' m off work quite often and when I' m not I come in at least an hour late.
I cannot do this. I am usualy a dynamic person who takes responsibility for myself and treat my bipolar as just a disorder which can be handled and I can live a relativiely normal life.
But I cannot get an appointment with a psychiatrist until 22 JUNE!!!
I' m dying here. Can I be fired for this? How do I explain that I do enjoy my job but cannot be here on time even?!?!
I' m at a loss. I need help urgently and I want to keep my job, my financial independance....
Help please! I' m so weak and tired, what can I take to give me motivation... I don' t want to even attempt suicide but I' m thinking about it more and more. if I cannot work, I cannot live - what the heck am I doing here!!!!

Expert ImageArchive

Psychiatrist: I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad.

You are describing a serious depressive episode and need to see a Psychiatrist urgently. As there are not many Psychiatrists in South Africa, we all do have a waiting period for consultations, but most of us also provide for emergency appointments. Call the Psychiatrist's office again and should there be no earlier appointment I suggest that you go to your GP who can phone a Psychiatrist and get you assessed earlier.

Posted by: Madcat | 2009-05-26

Sorry - they won' t allow me to post my email address. I really feel for you, I was in exactly the same place as you. Please believe me when I say that it does improve! Find another shrink to go to - some will make an emergency opening, just speak to the receptionist! You need to do this, and soon! I am not suicidal at all, but I also had fleeting thoughts that terrified me! Sorry sweety!! Janine

Reply to Madcat