Question
Posted by: Jenn | 2008/08/15

Serious tick problem

Hi...I have 3 cats. We live on a farm and they are in the field all day long. At the end of the day i have to take each one of them and scan them for ticks. I remove at least 3-4 ticks of each of them. everyday It is the little red ones as well as the big grey ones. I keep them out of the bedrooms because I have a baby in the house. They sleep on their own blankets in the living room at night. It doesn' t seem like they have any fleas though. Or maybe I just don' t see them.
What can I use for the tick problem? I don' t know if ticks get worse in the summer?

I also want to ask something about one of my cats that got hurt. When I got back from work I saw that my one can was limping a bit. We always go for a walk in the evenings and the cats walk with us. He also came along so I guess his paw wasn' t that sore. I checked for any bruises but there was nothing. I thought that he had stepped on something. I look at his paw every night and yesterday I saw that the hair on the paw is gone and there is a small hole just on top of the toes. It doesn' t smell bad and he can walk on his paw but not run. I treated it with macurocrome last night. Will that help? I know I' m not surposed to use human products on animals, but I can afford to take him to the vet now.
Will have to take him if it gets serious but wants to avoid it if i can.

Any advice?

Dear Jenn

Frontline works bets for tick. If you use the spot on frontline do use some of the spray as well. Wet a small ball of cotton wool with the frontline spray and wipe in on the cats ears face and front legs.

For the small puncture wound: Buy some hibiscrub, or bioscrub dilute 50/50 and give the area a scrub twice daily for 4-7 days. Hibiscrub will sort most infections of this kind.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/15

If the paw is not swollen or hot, and if the little wound isn' t oozing, then you could give it a day or two longer - most wounds heal up without too much difficulty.

You could get some Betadine liquid, and clean the wound quite firmly (' scrub'  it) - if there' s any sign of infection, it' s important not to let it heal over until it' s clear, because otherwise the pus can' t drain.

Get a tube of Bactroban too, and apply a very thin little bit to the wound - distract the cat for a bit after you' ve done it so he doesn' t lick it off too soon.

If the paw is swollen, or feels hot, or the wound doesn' t look clean, then best you get the vet to take a look!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Shell-Shocked | 2008/08/15

Hi there,

Frontline is a good product to use for cats as it helps them stay tick and flea free!

As for the whole in your kitty' s paw, I would seriously suggest you get him treated ASAP. Don' t you have a PDSA operating in your area? They may assist and they only ask you a donation if you can afford.

Alternatively, why not ask your vet for a payment pan? MOst vets offer these!

Reply to Shell-Shocked