Question
Posted by: mntungwa | 2008/06/24

serious infection

Since August last year, I have been having a very bad fishy odour. I went to my GP who confirmed that it was no STD by vaginal infection called Gardnerella. She then prescibed Flagyl to resolve this issue.. She also did a Pap Smear which came back normal. The smell came back again after 3 weeks. I went back to her first week of Jan again and she prescribed Metronidazole tablets for 7 days. She also did a swab test and submitted it to the lab. Again it came back after a few weeks. In March, she prescibed the Metrogel crean and Diflucan. I'm now 16 weeks pregnant and the bad smelling white discharge is still there (after all the tests and medication). My gynae gave me Dalacin vaginal cream at 13 weeks to try and resolve this but it went away for a week and it is back now. I'm new not sure what to do becasue this is affecting my personal and sex life. I'm worried that this infection will affect my unborn baby. The smell is so disturbing that I have to change the pad every 2 hours due to the smell. I'm seeing my gynae on monday 20 June for the checkup and will discuss this issue with her again.

Dear Mntungwa,
Ask your gyne to put your husband/partner on treatment too – it may be that you are passing the infection between the two of you. Ask your gyne if it will be safe for you to use Betadine/vinegar douche while you are pregnant? This is probably a vaginal bacterial infection and is quite common in women.