Posted by: Tomaz | 2011-06-22

Do I need to take any precautionary injections/tablets when travelling to Serbia this year?

I am also a diabetic. Would there be any problems taking insulin with me into Serbia? Should I need any prescribed medication whilst over there, would it be possible to get?

Expert ImageTravel expert

Hi Tomaz,

Adacel Quadra vaccination, combination of Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis and Polio: Hepatitis A would be a strong recommendation.

Having the Influenza and Pneumonia vaccinations would also be a smart move to keep you healthy.

Being a diabetic taking medication to treat Travellers diarrhoea and vomiting is very important. A general antibiotic to treat chest infections should be part of your first aid kit.

A letter of authority from your Travel Clinic allowing you to take syringe and needles on the plane is essential.

This letter should document all the medications you are taking with you and the letter must state the period of time that the medications cover and that it is for personal use.

All medications must be in their original packaging. Take your Insulin with you in your carry on luggage.

You should be able to get medical Assistance but language can be a barrier. Travel Insurance allowing for evacuation is essential. You will be in the same Time Zone so no Insulin adjustments should be required.