Posted by: Noleen | 2009-07-25

Septum repair and rhynoplasty

Hi Doc. I have a deviated septum with a hole in it. I also have a bump on my nose (roman nose). I am going for cosmetic breast op. I was thinking, seeing that I am already paying for hospital, that the plastic surgeon can also reduce the bump during same op. I would have liked to get the septum repaired at same time to spare me another operation as I have trouble breathing during sleep. But the plastic surgeon does not do septum repairs. Cant he just ask an ENT specialist to assist during same op? Thx!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Noleen
It is important to establish the cause of the septal perforation before any form of surgery should be embarked upon. It is unlikely that the perforation alone would be the cause of the obstruction, and an ENT examination is indicated to assess this. Septal perforation surgery is difficult, and it would not be advisable to attempt this at the same setting. If you feel comfortable to have the nasal bump removed, one could have this done at the same time, if your plastic surgeon agrees.
Once you have fully recovered, you could go and see an ENT who specializes in septal perforation surgery, as few surgeons do this, and good results are impossible to guarantee.