Posted by: Irene Mwas | 2011-10-23

My 4 yr old daughter never had any health problems since birth. Has always been healthy and even walked steadly at 9 months. Recently woke up one morning with fever and pain in her upper arm. We take her to hospital and we notice dark marks under her skin that get darker and bigger by the hour. Fever refuses to go down despite paracetamol medication, she gets very drowsy but they gave her a dose of augumentine intravenously. A few hours later at 10.30pm she stops breathing and dies. What could have killed such a health girl who had slept the previous night so healthy,happy and upbeat???? They later told us that she got a severe bacterial infection through an untreated UTI. She had no pain passing urine or any other symptom or discomfort prior to waking up with fever. Please help me understand what could have gone wrong. Thank You

I am sorry to learn about your loss. Clearly it is not due to something that you have done wrong.

A severe infection could have put a lot of strain on her heart and kidneys. In very rare cases, bacteria can cause an overwhelming infection that will not respond to any medication. I think that you should wait for the pathology report to find the exact cause for her death.

Posted by: HMom | 2011-10-24

I am so sorry for your loss. I dont even know what else to say. I

Reply to HMom
Posted by: BMJ | 2011-10-24

Irene, I am so very sorry to read this. Your heart must be broken. I hope you find answers. I hope you also posted to the pead

Reply to BMJ