Posted by: Carol | 2009-09-04

Seperation Anxiety

Recently my 4½  year old seems to be totally inseperable from me. He always only wants me and never lets his father help him with things. I take him and fetch him from school and just about every morning he says I must not leave him - although I have never. Could this be seperation anxiety and is this a normal phase for him to be going through? If not what could be the possible cause.

This does indeed sound like a variety of separation anxiety, and is probably normal. ONly if it gets more severe and lasts unduly long, would one consider taking the child so see a child shrink. Usually there's no appaent or obvious cause ; maybe any significant change in his circumstances, like a new school.