Question
Posted by: Johnny | 2009-08-09

Seperating protein and carbs

Hi doc. I do lots of cycling but recently had problems due to overtraining and undereating. I am now trying to gain more muscle while still consuming enough carbs for cycling. I read on a bodybuilding site that one should seperate complex carbs from proteins. Is this true? At what times of the day should you have each? Thanx doc!

Dear Johnny
For cycling you need readily available carbs, which are also called high-glycaemic index (GI) carbs, to provide you with the fuel you require for strenuous exercise. High-GI carbs are foods such as sugar, bread, most breakfast cereals, jam, sweetened cold drinks, and energy drinks and energy bars. Generally speaking you need to eat or drink this type of carbohydrate before, during and after your exercise to replenish your glycogen stores in the liver and muscles. Most athletes use energy drinks like Energade, Powerade, EnerG, etc, because they not only supply carbs, but also help to rehydrate you and provide potassium and sodium. By now, you probably know which product agrees best with your. Drink some before you cycle, during cycling and afterwards again. Also make sure that you eat some carbs like rice or pasta at your main meals. For additional information click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Sportsmen and women', esp those on energy requirement, carbs, carbo-loading and protein intake.
Enjoy the cycling