separation anxiety - 5 year old

Please give me advice. My almost 5 year old boy' s behaviour is not normal. He don' t want anything to do with other people when me or my husband are not with him. He will never talk to anyone or visit anyone without us. He was suppose so visit a friend from his playgroup this afternoon but refuses to stay there and cling to his father. The mother tried everything to interest him but nothing helped. He stayed with his gran at home until the age of about 3 and then went to a playgroup 4 times a week from 8 - 12. The first 2 weeks his gran went with him because he would not stay by himself, after that he was fine although up until now he is not very happy to go every day and would rather stay at home. He sleeps with me every night and refuses to sleep in his own bed. We have tried several times to sleep train but because we both work full time we just sort of accept the arrangement and it got out of hand. He would not even go somewhere with my sister who he likes and know very well. Please advise me on what to do.

Ideally, he should see a local child psychologist or child psychiatrist for assessment and advice. This might be a form of separation anxiety, but its more than the usual severity and generalization, and there are other possibilities, including an early showing of social anxiety. So an expert examination and assessment would be adviseable, and the sleeping problems can be dealt with at the same time.