Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/04/07

Separation Anxiety

Hi Scotty

I have already started the tips you gave me for dealing with my staffie''s separation anxiety. His already much better seems now that my anxiety has subsided his much better. My husband did however leave him alone to meet a client the other day 55minutes and he manage to destroy a few things.

We havent tried leaving the radio on yet. We also have a big double garage, with windows and security gate which we cleaned out now and made sure there is nothing dangerous in there. I am slow introducing this space to him leaving him in there with his bed, chewy''s and radio for a bit every day so when we have no other option to leave him in there.

I run with him in the mornings which helps and he is very happy and chilled after that. Was just wondering if it rains what other exercise can you do with your dog make them tired.

I also think I should be more stern with him and consistent.

Thanking you for all your help and guidance.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Kasandra, well done! Its so nice to hear when owners do as suggested and changes happen. What i do with my own dog is have 'inside' toys such as soft balls, ropes and lots of chewy toys. He had late onset storm fear phobia and i had to get inventive intially! Another thing you can do is learn how to work with a Clicker. This simple device can provide hours and stimulation for you both. It provides a lot of mental stimulation for the dog and i promise you they love it! Keep up the good work and remember Rome wasnt build in a day (even tho' my hubby says that was because they had a bad foreman!)it takes time to change this type of behaviour and the secret really is to be consistent and dont leave him too long, build up the period gradually. If you do have to go out for a considerable time, consider getting somebody in to 'dog watch'. Again well done and keep it up! Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/04/07

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert