Separating dogs

My husband and I are getting divorced. We have two dogs, one is a year old and the other is about 5 months old. The older one is mine and will be taking her with me, I am just worried about how they are going to respond to being separated. They are quite close and play so nicely together that it really breaks my heart and I want to make things as easy as possible for my dog.

Any advice or words of wisdom?

Dear Anon

Can't you take both? or is the fight between you and your husband turning nasty?

Posted by: steph | 2009-07-26

as the 2nd dog is only 5 months old they' ve not been together for too long so it should be fine. the biggest trick here is for you to remain calm and objective in the situation, if you are over emotional your dog will respond badly to your response. perhaps you should look at socialising the dog regularly with other dogs so that he/she is not too should be fine otherwise, dogs adjust quite easily provided the owner is in a good space. good luck

Reply to steph