Posted by: Jacqui | 2009-09-15

Sensitive/burning sensation in nipples - breastfeeding

I have a 10 day old baby who i am breastfeeding. we did have some problems in the first few days (breast abscess, poor latching and cracked/bleeding nipples!).

All that has been sorted out now, baby latches properly and i have no pain while actually feeding. I still have a couple of days left on penycilln anti-biotics, but i still have very sensitive/tender nipples (mostly the areole part) to the touch, they almost feel as though they burn/sting if touched or not and I get slight relief when i wear a bra - if my top falls down lightly it is also painful.

The pain is not there when i am feeding and i can barely use my hands to wipe them in the bath let alone a soft cloth. It is agony if the towel accidentally even lightly rubs against them.

Is this normal and if so, will it ever go away?

Dear Jacqui
Yes it will go away, and nipples are very tender in the beginning. Try keeping the nipples well moisturized and watch out for signs of candida infection in baby's mouth or on the nipples. Rub purified lanolin (only the kind formulated especially for breastfeeding mothers and babies) on your nipple after breastfeeding.
After feeding, express a few drops of breast milk and spread the breast milk over the affected nipple. A comfortably warm washcloth or wet teabag on the sore nipples may also help for the pain. Ensure that your nipples stay dry inbetween, change the nursing pads if it gets too wet inbetween.