Question
Posted by: 54 | 2008/10/16

Sensitive sometimes painful left breast

Dear Professor,

I am 54 in or past ? the menopause. I have never had really painful breasts, only during menstruation time, which was expected. Now that I am menopausal, my left breast is quite often painful when exercising or running down stairs, in other words when there is unusual movement of the breast. Is this anything to worry about? I had a clear mammogram this year.

Kind regards

Expert ImageBreast health expert

Hi 54,

It is a variation of normal around the menopause, for the breast to become more sensitive and at times even painful. This improves once your are completey postmenopausal.

Prof. J. Apffelstaedt