Posted by: Megan | 2009-08-18

Sensitive skin foods

Hi, both of my labradors have been diagnosed by my vet as having sensitive skin - my boy bites his paws and the vet said he had a fungal infection which he is now receiving treatment for, and my girl itches and scratches her tummy. The vet recommended I feed them the Hills d/d food which I' ve been doing. It is frightfully expensive though. I love my dogs and don' t want to neglect their diet but I just can' t afford to carry on feeding them the hills d/d (unless I get horribly into debt). Are there other foods for sensitive skin that you can recommend ? The eukanuba dermatosis is more affordable and what about the Vet' s choice sensitive ? What do you think of those foods ?

Dear Megan

I normally start with efazol daily over the food, even with normal Vets Choice Premium and a allergex twice daily if needed. If you do not see any change in 2 months then consider the DD again.

Posted by: Cheryl | 2009-08-19

Hi Megan,

I also have a lab with the same problem. The vet told me this is fairly common with labradors. I used Mirracote and it helped but did not clear up her dry skin totally so I bought Efazol, it is the same as Mirracote but with added zinc and this has made a tremendous improvemdent. Her coat is thick and really shiny (she is pitch black!!)

Reply to Cheryl
Posted by: Megan | 2009-08-19

Thanks for the advice. I will try Efazol. I' ve got Mirracote -is that the same sort of thing ? Also, is it normal human allergex or special doggy allergex I should give them ?

Reply to Megan