Question
Posted by: Lin | 2011/01/15

Sensitive 5 year old

My boy just turned 5 years old. He''s VERY sensitive. Things like meat. He wanted to know where it comes from. I told him that some come from cows others from sheep, chicken...
Now, he doesn''t want to eat meat.
How do I handle this one?
Thanks for your time!

I'd like to see what other parents on the forum have to say - thopugh their comments will probably only come on Monday when they return to their computers at work. Try also posting this on the Parenting forum, to see what they have to say.
Atually, many kids go through phases like this. Some may remain vegetarians, others revert to meat eating. Some have been bothered by something they heard at school, from an unwise teacher ot other student, or something they saw on TV.
Discuss it calmly with him, exploring and understanding his concerns, and discussing the b roader natural picture, about how many animals are carnivores and also eat other animals ( odd, though, isn't it, that we tend NOT to eat carnivore animals, only herbivores ).

6
Posted by: Maria | 2011/01/17

Make as little fuss as possible. Give him whatever else you''re having, and just leave the meat out. It will probably blow over by itself, but if it continues to be a problem you should maybe consult a dietician to make sure he gets enough protein.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Lin | 2011/01/17

Thanks guys!

He saw a rabbit being killed for supper on Discovery Channel. It was an accident (him seeing it) as it was at his aunt''s home.

He''s so angry at that guy and I took the opportunity to explain how some people need food and that you get bad people that kill for fun and also why it " hurts"  him to see stuff like that.

No, he hasn''t started asking what hotdogs are made of... waiting for that 1 :(

Reply to Lin
Posted by: Michaila | 2011/01/17

I think it is wise to repsect the child as he needs to be able to express how he feels, he probably loves animals. Ask him what else he does not like. If he feels comfortable you will be able to understand what he likes and dislikes and develop a solution from that.

Does he ask what hot dogs are made of??....

Reply to Michaila
Posted by: Nikki | 2011/01/17

Did he not perhaps see something on TV about animals being slaughtered? I watched a cow being slaughtered on the family farm a few years ago. I refused to eat that meat and did not want to eat beef for a long time after that! My son on the other hand, has been exposed to animals (wild and farm animals) being slaughtered and he loves meat ... nothing would put him off eating meat at all! I would think that your child has seen something or been told something that has put him off eating meat.

Reply to Nikki
Posted by: jenni | 2011/01/15

my son is the same age, and also finds this disturbing. My three other children went through the same thing. i reckon you should do as the expert says and discuss it calmly with him. At the same time use the oportunity to re-enforce your ethics and moral attitude toward such issues (ie humane treatment of animals etc). that way he gets balanced input and can later make his own choice, as well as becoming a responsible consumer. PS: in my experience hunger and a lamb chop get the better of them in the end!

Reply to jenni