Question
Posted by: Naeema | 2011/08/14

Sensitive

I''m going away to India in 2 weeks and my sister who is addicted to drugs but is at the moment trying to recover does not know. She is not at a rehab, she is using medication to help herself. I havent seen her in a long time. My question is should I tell her I''m going seeing as it is only for one week? I''m going with friends of ours that have distanced themselves from her and I don''t want her to feel depressed about it. If I do tell her what should I say and how should I go about it?

There really isnt a high success rate ( if any ) for someone trying to treat their own drug addiction by themselves ( and where is she getting the medication from ? ) However, if she hasn't felt like contacting you for a considerable time, the odds are not high that she will try to call you during your one week away ; and if she id, surely you're not always immediately contactable anyway ? Is there someone else who could take the call and sat you're busy and will call her back the next week ? And would she necessarily be depressed if friends of yours ( but not of hers ) have invited you to go away with them for a week ? She must take responsibility for her own behavior and choices, and not blame you for any upset she might feel.

2
Posted by: Naeema | 2011/08/14

They were friends of hers as well which is why I thought she may feel bad that she is not included in our lives anymore ( through her own doing ). I myself don''t agree with her trying to get clean on her own and I''m trying to convince her that rehab is necessary though at this point she does not agree. But I just thought that if she genuinely is trying to turn her life around should I tell her about this which may make her feel sad. It may seem trivial but I don''t want to weaken her already fragile state.

Reply to Naeema