Question
Posted by: Tasteless | 2011-09-14

Sense of smell/taste

I had a fall in December and knocked my head pretty hard - had mild concussion. A couple of weeks later I realised that I couldn''t smell anything. I have now been living without any sense of smell since the beginning of the year - I assume the loss of the sense and the knock to my head are related. It has now also affected my sense of taste - most foods have become tasteless, some to the point of being revolting. Food, except for sweet things (which I can taste to a certain extent) has become texture without any taste - not pleasant. I have now read that a lack of Zinc can affect taste and cause tastebuds to stop working and that Zinc supplements will reverse this. Will it help if I took Zinc supplements even though I think my taste/smell problem is related to the knock to my head? Are Zinc supplements commercially available?
Thanks for your time!

Zinc supplements are available over the counter and you can ask your pharmacist for a good product. I doubt that your head trauma is the cause for your loss of smell and taste but in severe cases of head trauma it can affect your smell and taste and I therefore, suggest that you consult a neurologist for an examination and a head CT scan.

1
Posted by: Lara | 2011-09-21

I humbly disagree with the doc - a head injury that can cause concussion can lead to loss of smell by " tearing loose"  the nerve(s) leading from your nose to your brain. If that''s the case the damage is irreversible as far as I know. I''ve never been able to smell due to a birth injury (forceps delivery). Welcome to my world. Sweet things are the only things worth eating! Have a CT scan anyway to rule out other things such as growths pressing on the nerve, etc, etc.

Reply to Lara