Question

Selmonella

Dear Doctor
I work at a hotel and our restaurant staff have all recently undergone a food handling inspection. 2 of our chefs tested positive for selmonella and are now on anti-biotic treatment. I have 2 questions about this. Both these chefs have prepared food regularly for me and my husband, as well as handling our food issues (we live on the premesis, but prefer cooking our own food whenever possible). What is the threat of their being positive to both us and other staff (they prepare all staff meals) and should we get ourselves tested as well? Also, the one chef has a 7 month old baby. Even though the baby lives with her mother and she only gets to see him once a month (and when he is sick she also goes home), what is the threat of her having tested positive to him?
Thank you and best wishes.

Hallo Anon
Carriers of salmonella will only infect other people if they don't wash their hands well after using the bathroom. And then not everyone that ingests Salmonella bacteria will become ill. If you never had diarrhoeal symptoms since eating at the hotel it is unlikely that you will be typhoid positive. (Typhoid fever is a bacterial infection of the intestinal tract and bloodstream. Symptoms can be mild or severe and include sustained fever as high as 39°-40° C, flu like feeling, loss of appetite, headache, constipation or diarrhoea, rose-coloured spots on the chest area and enlarged spleen and liver. Most people show symptoms 1-3 weeks after exposure. Paratyphoid fever has similar symptoms to typhoid fever but is generally a milder disease.)
I would advise that the baby should be tested.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/11/24

Hallo Anon
dr Bets