Posted by: Sonja | 2008-11-03

Sell by date

I hope that you will able to help me, I cant seem to find any other place to ask this question...on most foods we have a sell by date, i would like to know how long after this date should one not use the food. Dry food eg custard powder. I am cleaning out my elderly aunts cupboards and i have found a lot of passed sell by date goodies in there... spices, tins etc.

Please advise.

Dear Sonja
Strictly speaking the sell by date and the "best before date" are used to indicate how long a product can be stored without it: a) losing its taste, aroma, and texture, and b) going off. Dry goods can usually be kept for a long time without deterioration, but if you check the "best before date" on products like canned goods, etc, I would personally not use them if more than 6 months have elapsed after the given date. For example if the "Best before date" was January 2008, I would definitely discard the can or spices, etc now that it is November of 2008. I had a similar case the other day when I checked my cupboard and found a tin of condensed milk that was more than 6 months older than the sell by date. When I opened it, it had changed colour and the taste was certainly not as good as when one buys a fresh tin, so I emptied it down the drain.

Posted by: XYZ | 2008-11-04

I am also past my " best before date" . So I must jump the bridge!

Reply to XYZ