Posted by: nameless | 2009-02-04

I used to have ingrown toe-nails, now I just pick and pick at them till they are raw and sore, slap on Bactroban. I try not to do this, but I can' t.
I did see a podiatrist and he said that I almost done the same job that they do (remove the nail on the side), but I still do it.
I am under extreme stress, is this what you call self-mutilation or is it a bad habit? I am a professional, coiffed lady except for the toe thing. I am afraid of infection. I can' t break this awful habit or problem and my toes look terrible. I cover them up with false toe-nails or facial base to hide how bad and infected it is.
What to do?

YOu can stop mit, though you haven't done so yet. It is a bad habit, and it is a form of self-mutilation. I am worried mainly by how negatively you view this : " I can't break this awful habit" --- yes you can ! See a CBT therapist to both break the old bad stress-related habit, and to learn better ways of dealing with the stress when it arises.