Question
Posted by: James | 2010/03/31

Self-loathing

Hi, I go through inexplicable periods of self-loathing where I get all miserable and kind of detest myself - they way I look, my interestingness, the quality of my work - I can pick it all apart and hate it.

However, when I am doing it I know it is not right - I am totally conscious of it, but I still feel horrific and miserable. And sometimes it can sit in for a week.

Do you know how I can get rid of it, or shake it?

Many thanks,
James.

As you've noticed, when one is in a negative frame of mind, you can pick faults in anything about yourself and your work - just as well Leonardo da Vinci didn't have this habit, or he'd have abandoned many of his greatest works.
Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) is the method of therapy best validated by good research, and is excellent at dealing with such bad habits of negative thinking, and helping you to change them. Look for a reachable CBT therapist ( the SADAG website lists some, for instance ) and you could transform a fruitless bad habit ino a fruitful good habit

1