Question
Posted by: Richard | 2010-11-04

Self hypnosis helpful?

Hi, I just want to get some ideas on peoples experience with self hypnosis.
I suffer from major depression, Panic disorder and a bit of OCD. My condition is more biological by nature than due to external circumstances. I am currently on AD''s but only for a week now, so it is still early days to expect anything from the meds.
Because my thinking patterns are irrational, intrusive and ruminative in nature I find it hard to really benefit from traditional CBT at this stage.
I was thinking of adding self hypnosis/relaxation therapy to my recovery plan because I have read great things about it. Basically you go into the alpha state of your brain and " reprogram"  your brain to stop thinking irrational and return to a state of mind when you were healthy. Any ideas on this?

It depends on what you mean by "self-hypnosis". If you mean, as you suggest, relaxation therapy, then my experience has been that it can indeed be very helpful ( and both cheaper and more useful than sedatives and tranquillizers ). That much is estalished, Whether it can actually then involve reprogramming the brain's irrational thinking habits, I don't know - if you feel CBT can't yet get a grip on that, then on your own, relaxed or not, you're not likely to do any better with that particular project
CBT can help in this sort of situation, though maybe would be easier once the AD's become more helpful.

1