Question
Posted by: Lou | 2013-02-11

Self Harm and ADHD

Hi Doc,
My 12 year old daughter has ADHD, been on meds since she was 7. She is a highly emotional child, and due to the ADHD, and possibly a lot of teenage attitude, gets herself into trouble alot at school, arguing with teachers, shouting out etc.
Last week, she had a fight with me in the car, about something trivial, and when I got home from work, after apologising to me, she showed me that she has cut herself - on the thigh, with a fairly blunt (thank goodness) steak knife.

I was a cutter in my teens, but thankfully outgrew it as I left my teens behind.
I''m very worried. I''m a single mom, so expensive psych visits is not an option - can you tell me how best to deal with this, what I can do to help my daughter?
many thanks

The boundaries of eenage behaviours, good and bad, are wide. Self-cutting, as you know, is more common nthan people realise, and does usually clear up on its own. But overall, she doesn't sound like a happy girl, and maybe it'd be wise for her to see a psycholist / counsellor for an assessment and advice based on that. Even a single sesion, explaining in advance to the shrink that money is very short, may give useful insight. Also, explore what services may be available through your local state hospital or medical school.