Question
Posted by: Jeff | 2012/08/29

self harm

I enjoy sticking needles through my skin, if i can penetrate the flesh and bleed quite abit, i feel better. Yep, quite something. I love to feel the pain afterwards which lasts a few days. I even apply pressure on the damaged area, when sitting at my desk or elsewhere, and feel better. I fantasize about different instruments and areas on my body too. Very careful not to damage too much, dont want to goto hospital or something. Any thoughts on this please Doctor? I know many people have this, just curious about the whole thing. Thanks.

You recognize, I'm sure, that this is not a healthy thing to be doing, and it could easily lead you into worse self-mutilations or serious infections. I suppose one could call this masochism, but you'd need a frank assessment with a good shrink to work out the most useful diagnosis and approach.
Variations on this sort of self-damaging behaviour are more common than most people think, but probably much less common than you seem to think.
In years gone by I researched this area and wrote some major textbook chapters on the topic, but they're not easy to access these days.
I think the most useful approach would be for you to recognize that this is not wholesome or good for you, even if it seems enjoyable at the time ; and that it would be a good idea to see a suitable expert din person for a long discussion of this, and to enable you to evaluate it and decide what to do about it.
Generally, admitting someone to hospital is not a good way to try to deal with this, except when someone has medical complications from the ways in which they have damaged themselves, such as infections,lost needles, and similar issues. It is best dealt with by a skilled and experienced psychologist in a series of discussions.
And yes, as Nicole says, in the meantime be careful about maintaining sterility.

4
Posted by: Jeff | 2012/08/29

Thanks Doctor

Reply to Jeff
Posted by: Jeff | 2012/08/29

Thanks nicole

Reply to Jeff
Posted by: Nicole | 2012/08/29

hey! Im no doc, but from what i''ve heard is that self-harm is a displacement of sorts. For the easiest example: someone overslept, the geyser broke so they had a cold shower, their wife is pms and didnt make breakfast then he gets to his car and there is a flat tire. SO he kicks the dog. The dog isnt the problem but he felt it safe to take it out on the dog. And that is what self-cutters / harmers do. Find a safe place to take out the anger / pain / shame / which ever the strong emotion is that they either do not know how to express elsewise or cant (for example screaming back at your boss may not be the best idea).. I think you should see a therapist to talk through your emotions that bring you relief.. (some people cut themselves for relief due to high blood pressure, but since you are after the pain and not just the blood release (''you apply pressure to damaged areas'') i think you have found a way you feel safe to express some very serious bottled up emotions..
In the meantime, remember to sterilize your instruments!

Reply to Nicole