Question
Posted by: Lollipop | 2009-03-27

Self Esteem

Morning CS,
On Tuesday I went to see a Psychologist to deal with my non existent self esteem. He said that the past dictates the future and that we need to work out what happened in the past that lead to the disappearance of my SE and from that work on improving it. Is this the right approach? My homework for this week is to write down things that happened in my childhood and how I felt at the time. I started doing this yesterday and I felt so awful.
Thanks for your time.
L

Maybe you're misquoting him. The past absolutely does NOT dictate the future --- the attitudes and assumptions you choose to base on past experience does indeed shape your future. But whereas you cannot change what happened in the past, you CAn change your attitudes about it. I consider all analytically-basedc counselling that concentrates on digging into the past to be useless. CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ) which concentrates on the atitudes and assumptions, actually works well.