Posted by: Nic | 2009-02-19

I hope you can help me. I am very self-concious. I always feel like people are judging me and I care too much about what people think of me. I don' t feel at ease in strangers'  presence. I don' t know how to start conversations but I can talk to people when they approach me first. I guess I think too much of what they might think of me when I approach them first. It might be a self worth issue. If they approach me first they think I am worth talking to... This is really a problem for me because I am afraid that I might never get married. You don' t just marry anyone that you meet through work or friends. But I can' t start conversation with a girl that I see somewhere. Especially if she is good looking. I guess I feel intimidated to talk to her. My mind just freezes.

Is there anything I can do to overcome this fobia of strangers?

Thanks for your time.

Sounds like a variation on a social anxiety disorder, which responds well to medication and, ideally, CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ). And, fortunately, not only does this quite common and uncomfortable condition respond really well to treatment, but it does so relatively quickly. See a good local psychiatrist or psychologist for assesment and adice on this treatment

Posted by: Linda | 2009-02-21

You are suffering from Social Phobia. Go to a girl and just talk. And if she ignores you or rejects you don' t feel bad. It happens to everybody. Most people are afraid to approach other people because of the fear of being rejected. Just love yourself

Reply to Linda