Question
Posted by: J | 2010/08/20

Self discipline and motivation

I think my 15 year old son has a problem with self discipline and motivation in regard to his school work. The reason why I think so is because I was like that as well –  I recognise the trend and indicators. More than capable of achieving very high marks, but there is no commitment or desire to sit down and put in the hours. You know you have to study, but you just can’ t –  it irritates and frustrates you.

I think that my son with need the help of a professional. Which medical discipline/professional can help him with the above problem?

Talk this over with him. Does he recognize any advantage in getting high marks and school qualifications ? Schoolwork is often very boring and seems in no way related to real life, and this can be especially bothersome for intelligent kids. But they need to understand that until they enter governent and change the system for the better, they need those wualifications in order to be able to have greater degrees of freedom in geting on to what they really WILL
want to do.
If he has personal problems, a general psychologist or counsellor could help. If he has specific study problems, some counsellors and psychologists have specal interest and expertise in dealing with these - the school may be able to recommend someone they have found to be good.

1

want to do.