Posted by: Anon2 | 2008-11-05

Self Destructive Behaviour

Dear CS
I don’ t know what is wrong with me. Since I’ m back at work after being hospitalised for depression, I’ ve been telling everyone that I suffer from depression. I’ m just making myself look mentally unstable and incapable of coping with my work. I’ ve seen my shrink because I' m still depressed and he booked me off sick again. When I told my boss this, he nearly had a fit. I wish I haven’ t said a word. I’ ve decided to not to take sick leave and try to cope as best as I can.

YOur boss probably, reasonably, expected that after you'd had time off work and been recommended as fit to return to work, no further time off would be needed, so some disappointment is natural. I'd be bothered about your shrink --- and when one is significantly depressed, its not always best to sit around at home feeling gloomy. You need to discuss this with your shrink, who presumably knows you well, and who MUST take your work into account, and if necessary contact your boss and explain the situation. Let the shrink help you to cope at work, rather --- and arrange for CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which would focus on coping at work and other aspects where you can gain better control of such situations