Posted by: Curious | 2009-04-08

Seem to be eating so little?

My partner and I eat roughly the following each day:

Breakfast smoothie containing 1/2 diet fuel serving, banana or apple, 100ml fruit juice, 1 serving yoghurt (100ml) and sometimes about 15g pronutro with water if as needed.

100ml youghurt with 20g all bran or meusli with some apple or banana.

Mid morning an apple

Lunch is a diet fuel shake and 1 carb (like cous cous or potato) and 1 veg (like a carrot, some gem or butternut)

Supper is a balanced meal with protein (chicken or fish usually) with lots of veg and if hungry 1 carb, but otherwise not.

We both have desk jobs but do exercise, I would say on average 4 or 5 days out of 7 for about 45 mins a day (running or spinning)

We are not really losing weight, we tend to maintain but not lose, what are we doing wrong?

We have the odd treat of pizza sometimes on weekends and during the week might have a drink before supper on 3 nights.

We also use USN CLA pills, 2 x CLA thermogenic with bfast and lunch and 2 x CLA with green tea with supper

I am 1.65m tall, weight 65kg, female

my partner is 1.72m tall and weighs 83kg, female

My concern is more for my partner than myself

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Curious

Losing weight has all to do with calories – if you want to lose weight you have to eat less calories than you consume – if you want to be on a strict diet you can eat as little as 1200 calories. Thus you need to calculate your calorie need in line with what you want to weigh and which should include the calories that you will expend during your training averaged out over a week. From this you will see that I cannot really answer your question precisely as there are too many missing pieces for me. Thus the short answer is you have to reduce your calorie intake or train harder to create that deficit.

However, I can comment on the following:

•Too many calories in your breakfast – why the fruit and the juice with the smoothie – drop the juice and yoghurt – use the fruit or yoghurt with half the diet fuel.
•The second breakfast option is fine.
•Mid morning snack if fine – better option is to replace it with a larger serving of vegetables as they are low in calories and high in nutrients and fiber. Do the same for the afternoon snack – I don’t see one?
•At lunch you did not mention the size of the carb portion - it should not be larger than ½ cup and I would certainly rather replace it with low GI versions like lentils, barley, chickpeas or brown rice mixed with one of these pulses. Why another shake? As you are eating carbs just include 50-100g low fat protein (chicken or fish) – or drop the protein and eat a lot more vegs – leave the 100g protein for dinner. You mention being hunger – you are eating too little carbs at dinner – also included another ½ cup low GI carbs or more veggies.
•Supper looks fine.
I don’t see any good fats in your diet? 20% of your calorie intake should come from good fats (avo, nuts, olive oil, olives, and seeds) – they are fat burners!
What I cannot determine from your detail is how much fat hides in your food – too much fat is the main culprit for excess calories – not sure if you have used any in the preparation of the food. This means you HAVE TO drop the pizza! Go find out what the calories in a pizza are – it will be more than you are allowed per day! Change your restaurant – try Thai for stir fries and ask them to use no oil in the preparation or what about a massive delicious salad – the idea is to be sociable!

The other recommendation is to DROP THE ALCOHOL! Alcohol has the second highest amount of calories and the body metabolizes it as if a fat! This will be another reason that you are battleling to lose weight. Have a Sprite Zero with a few drops of lemon juice – pour it in a wine glass.

These recommendations are strict, but once you have reached your goal weight you can life it up again, but only once a week otherwise your results go south again. Balance is the name of the game.

Good luck and enjoy the long weekend.

Take care