Posted by: Chronically sleep deprived, 30+ years | 2009-04-18

Seeking support members....

Is there anyone out there who would like to become a chat buddy to someone who has had severe insomnia issues for most of her life?
I have spent a small fortune on every so called ' specialist'  who deals with sleep-order but all they can tell you is that they are guessing you are depressed so need to be on an anti-depressant. (You pay massive fee' s for that paltry advice and that' s it.) There is not an A/D in the PDR I have not been on which did not make me way, *way* more ill and even more wide awake.
I wonder how all of the ' sleep experts'  would respond if for 30 plus years they have struggled through with one hours sleep nightly and perhaps two hours on a really *good* night. Would they stop throwing all these meaningless platitudes at us that we are ' depressed'  and that A/D' s will have us sleeping like babies again.
I think that after having been on every available brand of A/D, anti-pcychotic etc, etc, stretching out over close on 22 years of A/D use that someone, somewhere would sit up, take notice and realize that there are those of us where this blanket statement of us needing to be on an A/D is what WILL lead to major depression when previously we were fun, get up and go, zestful people.
Something is seriously wrong, sleep clinics, sleep hygiene, medication and meditation is not the elixir for many of us - I ' challenge any so called ' sleep expert'  to walk the road we insomniacs have been with ZERO help from any of the so called ' experts.' 
If any other folks on this site might read my post, do write to me and perhaps we can form a support forum of some sort. It might not bring us more sleep but we won' t feel so totally isolated and feel like pariah' s in the medical world who when it comes to the crunch with SERIOUS insomniacs'  - they have nothing new or helpful to in-part with us.
I would be happy to hear from anyone at laddeebrdsa at y a h o o dot com so that I won' t feel so totally lost and isolated with this crippling disorder. Love to hear from anyone!

Expert ImageSleep Expert

A support gorup is a very good idea.