Posted by: Racoon | 2011-12-02

Seeing thing - REM sleep disorder

Dear Doc

About an hour after I fall asleep I " wake"  up and see things which I then react on. I cannot for the life of me figure out if it is real or imagined, and I can remember everything the next morning. Sometimes the same thing also happens again later on in the night. Its mostly something that is threatening me in some way, but mainly it is either cameras watching me, or someone peeping into the room through the curtains or some intricate piece of machinary rigged in the room which will swallow the bed with me in it. Sometimes I will even convince my husband to go outside and look for the person peeping through the curtains! This problem was almost non-existant while I was on Zoloft or Fluoxetine, but I recovered and am now not taking anything. This is happening every night now and I am exhausted in the morning. I have just asked for a script for Rivotril, as that helps a great deal. What exactly could it be? I have been for and MRI to check for lesions or possible epilepcy but it was clean. Many thanks!

Expert ImageSleep Expert

This is probably not REM sleep disorder - it sounds more like hypnogogic hallucinations. It is certainly a sleep-related phenomenon. Get a sleep doctor to help you analyse it and find the best solution for the problem. Fluoxetine suppresses the part of sleep responsible for this, which is why it works, but there are other options.

On also wants to know that it is not part of some other sleep disorder which could need attention.