Question
Posted by: Dudu | 2009-12-17

Seeds and water

Two questions: Is pupmkin seeds and sunflowers seeds a source of protein? Besides all their good fats.

For over a month now I' ve been cutting out most sugar, coffee, starch etc and am only drinking water and greent tea, without sugar, milk. Eating mostly veggies, chickin, beans, meat, nuts, some fruit, rice and maize.However lately if when i drink water it leaves a very sweet taste in my mouth like ive been eating sweetner, both tap and bottle and I wake up tasting like I' ve been eating loads of sugar the night before when I' ve only had water? Why could this be?

Dear Dudu
Wishing a happy Festive Season. Pumpkin seeds contain 18,6 g of plant protein per 100g, while sunflower seeds provide 22,8 g of plant protein per 100g. Thus both these seeds are excellent sources of protein derived from plants. Although plant proteins do not contain all the so-called "essential amino acids" which are found in meat, eggs, and fish, research indicates that protein from plants is more than adequate for adults, esp if you are eating a mixed diet that also contains some animal protein (i.e. meat). I cannot really say why drinking water leaves a sweet taste in your mouth, but can hazard a guess that this could be due to "re-education of your taste buds". If you have cut down drastically on added sugar in your diet you should start tasting sweetness in other foods and beverages. However if this condition worries you then it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup and to ask the dr to test your blood sugar and insulin levels.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-12-18

Dear Dudu