Question
Posted by: Morne | 2011/07/02

Sedative for travelling

Hi, we''re driving down from Pretoria to Cape Town with our two Sharpei''s.

What can you recommend as mild sedative to help them cope?

We don''t want to " drug"  them, just looking for something off the shelf, to calm them down for the 15hr journey.

Hi Morne

Try some Rescue Remedy – 2-4 drops 4-5 time’s a day.

The other important issue as you know is to make regular stops and exercise the dog for 30-60 mins. Rescue Remedy can be obtained from most chemist shops.

I hope this helps.
Kind regards
Angus Campbell

9
Posted by: Kitten | 2011/07/11

Off the shelf I''d go with Rescue Remedy, but I agree if you have an extremely nervous cat or dog, take what the vet gives you. Better to have them " stoned"  than running laps in the car.

Reply to Kitten
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/07/07

Hi Morne

I hope this helps.
Kind regards
Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/07/06

Yep, Cat Lady - you need to grow a thick hide like me  -)

I have no idea where these twits come out from - I reread my post, there was nothing in the slightest bit uncalm about it - it was just a different perspective, is all. I guess as with so many on the media24 forums (not to mention commenters on news stuff) - if you are determined enough, you can manufacture something offensive about nearly anything you like.

I did ask about those damn dumb letters, but they said they ''have to have them'' - like we had ten thousand trolls a day before... talk about overkill. They are profoundly irritating.

I''m also not sure why they have a cybervet any more - he seems to answer one or two questions every couple of weeks, and then retires again. I wouldn''t mind a professional take on some of the issues raised, but it seems this is too much to expect.

Oh well.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2011/07/06

Chill is dead right on her response re ACP. My dogs are terrified of thunder and rather than have them shake with terror (ditto fireworks) I prefer to have them " stoned"  as you so nicely put it. Mine have had such frights that they have also been put on Valium. Its not a death sentence, its temporaly relief. Go Chill, go. ou know why I seldom comment anymore.

Wish you could also ask Health24 to stop putting these stupid letters down when one replies. We are not kiddies!

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Chill | 2011/07/05

I have no idea what you are reading into my response, Lilly dear. I am as calm as a millpond on a windless day. Perhaps you should read it again? Unless you''re just a born drama queen, I suppose, in which case you can''t help it.]

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Lilly | 2011/07/05

Geeeeez Chill, maybe you need a sedative? CALM DOWN.

Reply to Lilly
Posted by: Chill | 2011/07/03

Must say I think you''re being a bit harsh on your vet, and also a bit unrealistic about your dogs. You wanted a sedative, you got a sedative - what did you expect the effect to be? No idea why you felt so sorry for the dogs - someone who is sedated or drugged (or drunk, for that matter) doesn''t mind at all - that''s the whole point. All they want is to be left in peace to sleep it off. Nothing ''terreble'' about that.

The vet most likely gave them ACP tablets, which would be quite a good choice for a long car trip. You WANT them to sleep, don''t you? There really is no need for you to be so fearful of the ''stuff administared by the vet'' - trust me.

Having said that: you know your dogs best, if they are only very mildly excitable, then by all means go the herbal route. But if they are highly strung and nervous or restless by nature, your and their interests would be far better served by going the veterinary route.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Morne | 2011/07/02

Thanks Chill, will look into it.

With the last fireworks show, the vet gave us some tablets (can''t remember the name) and my two brats were totally stoned. You could see they had no idea where they were and couldn''t even walk a couple of steps before falling down. It was terreble and I felt soooo sorry for them. That''s why I''m looking for something natural which will only calm them down a bit. Not taking a chance on the stuff administared by a vet.

Anyone had experience with tablets you get at the petshop, called Ecotravel?

Reply to Morne
Posted by: Chill | 2011/07/02

Normally this sort of thing would be supplied (and if necessary, administered) by your vet.

However, if you think an over-the-counter remedy would be enough, then perhaps you could try using valerian in some form or other: calmettes and becalm tablets contain this herb, or you could buy a bottle of tincture of valerian - you''d give each dog 15 or 20 drops in a tiny bit of water (use a syringe) if you opt for the latter. I''ve always found it to be very effective for soothing dogs (eg, I''ve had a dog terrified of thunder and fireworks), and it cannot do any harm.

Reply to Chill