Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010/10/05

Sedative for 9 year old - URGENT please!

What sedative/tranquilizer can I give my 9 year old son before going to the dentist?Yesterday I received a quote for extracting two teeth = R1479.00 and for an anesthetist to come out another R3500.00, which is ridiculous. Is there a safe sedative that I can give him to just REALLY calm him down. Once the doctor numbs the mouth, everything will be ok.

The dentist supplies the numbing injection....that''s exactly what my son does not want to see! I will contact my GP and my pharmacist whom I know since I was a kid.

My son has a defect in two of his teeth....these two teeth do not have any enamel in them, causing them to get brittle and breaking off piece by piece. Once has broken off to the extent that it can''t be extracted, but has to be " cut"  out. My son fears the dentist more than anything else and he won''t sit still or allow the dentist near him. Many a time we had to walk out halfway through just looking into my son''s mouth.

Hallo Sam
Ask your GP to prescribe some Aterax syrup for you.

5

Dormicum is what they normally use it will make him drousy and he will never even remembers that he was at the dentist that day. I don''t know exacly how it works but for that few hours you can''t remember anything. The injection is what they are scared of but once the mouth is numb the dentist can work and he will not feel a thing.

Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/10/06

Hallo Sam

Posted by: B | 2010/10/05

Sam, perhaps your gp can give him something. It is so frustrating when the m/aids dont pay. Will a letter of motivation from the dentist explaining his condition and unusual fears not help sway them as a special case ?

Reply to B
Posted by: Sam | 2010/10/05

Yes, I do have a medical aid, but they cover " in hospital"  procedures only up to the age of 7 years. No support there!

Reply to Sam
Posted by: CS01 | 2010/10/05

Sam

Rather have him put under as this will be an extremely traumatic experience for him. 9 is still quite young.
Surely you have a medical aid? Go to a Medicross and have him booked in as a day patient. My son had his 2 teeth pulled in this way and it all was under R8000.

Reply to CS01