Question
Posted by: Lin | 2008/10/06

Secondary fertility

I had my son 3 years ago with the help of a fertility expert and lots of meds.
We' ve been trying since then (naturally) but to no avail.
I breastfed my boy until he was 9 months, then stopped because I was advised to by my gp because we wanted to fall pregnant asap.
The thing is, I still have fluid/milk coming out of both breasts.

I suffer from severe PCOS, could the secretion also cause anovulation? Does PCOS and the leaking breasts go hand in hand or are they totally different problems?

Thanks for your time.

Dear Lin

In approximately 15% of PCOS patients a high prolactin level may be present which is associated with Galactorrhoea (inappropriate fluid of milk secretions from the nipples). This means may in turn cause ovulatory dysfunction and infertility. The prolactin levels can quite easily be corrected and in many cases, may restore infertility from potential to normal. However, in some cases for the treatment with ovulation induction agents may also be necessary to overcome the ovulatory dysfunction problem of PCOS.

Answered by:Dr Cassim